embracing life

Another perspective on life, worldviews, and God - and how they all fit together in everyday experience. Simple stuff.

A Final Word

By Steve

This morning I returned from a grueling bike ride, and flipped on the TV for some quality morning programming while I iced and stretched.

The Today Show.

They were doing a story on a group called "The Jesus Trail." Rather than explain it, check out the video then come back.

What stuck out to me as I watched, was not the people following the trail of Jesus, but the comments made at the end of video. Did you catch them? Mr. Weather man said, "I didn't know they had beer in Israel." And Matt said, "That was about the only thing that caught my attention in that story."

Great.

An entire (albeit just 3 minutes) story on Jesus and faith and the follow up response basically wrote it off as an entire waste. There was much more interest in the money story, the fat story and the fashion story...

Our money, bodies and clothing have more mean more than our faith. I wondered how many people resonated with Matt? If you know me, you know that I have given much of my life hoping to change such negative and dismissive responses to faith.

There is work yet to do. So I'll be busy

My final word.
As much as I've tried, I cannot keep this blog alive. So for the next couple of weeks I'll be working, but you won't see me here (though you rarely do anyway). I am going to be working on a few things...hopefully things that will improve my blogging frequency and content. I am going to kill this blog and launch on a new one on 6/1/09, Perez's 7th birthday.

Until then.

5 Comments

It's always tough to put down a blog— those big brown eyes peering back at you. But, sometimes, it's the only humane thing to do.

If I could ask a favor: please link to the new blog with in a post so I can grab it in the RSS feed.

As for the story, although I agree with the overall message, I'm not sure it was put together well. It came across as free advertising for the tourism company.

I will link to my new blog when I launch it...thanks for the suggestion.

As for the story on the Today Show. I was not a big fan of the story, I had many thoughts and reactions to it. I guess it would just be nice if a quality piece could be done on faith, and not have it laughed at, mocked or dismissed as out of touch and worthless.

looking forward to the new blog launch, and the conversations that hopefully start on it.

New blog, eh?

I'm assuming there might be some design requests coming? ;-)

As for the story, yeah, what a bummer reaction from Lauer. I actually think that's quite a cool story, even though I agree it's clearly got the tourism promotion slant and it screams "bring your rich suburban youth group kids!" :)

Thanks for keeping this blog over the past couple of years. Intrigued to see what's novel & new about the next blog.

Post a Comment