embracing life

Another perspective on life, worldviews, and God - and how they all fit together in everyday experience. Simple stuff.

By Steve

What's right?

I was reminded today from a friend, who overheard a conversation my wife was having with friends the night before, that briefly included the topic of me, of the question I most often ask my wife (I like long, confusing, run-on sentences with lots of commas that need to be justified by paranthetical statements).

Most mornings, I wake up happy. Most mornings, Ali wakes up a bit grumpy. Most morning, I ask Ali "what's wrong." (of course it's nothing, it's just how she wakes up I'm reminded daily)

This reminder from a friend from a conversation he overheard about how I often ask Ali what's wrong...got me thinking.

Why the focus on what's wrong? What do I gain from learning everything that is wrong? Wrong with my wife. Wrong with my friends. Wrong with my job. Wrong with the government. Wrong with an idea.

Instead.

What if we started asking what's right? I think I would prefer hearing all of the good and positive and right things in any given day than all of the bad and negative and wrong things.

So I have a proposal. I propose a "What's right" campaign. Where each of us begin asking what's right instead of what's wrong. Now for those of you who are already thinking of things that are wrong with this idea..."how can we fix people, or things, or ideas if we don't know what's wrong?" I don't know, find a way (maybe determine that fixing things is not always best).

I just want us to give this a try. Focus on what's right, and ask others what's right.

I am only one person pondering this. Some may read and comment on this. It is my hope that many will respond.

So my what's right campaign has a goal. I am looking for 10 comments to this blog. When 10 respond, I will consider my blog right and keep blogging. If and when it reaches 20, I will pursue taking my campaign to the next level...(the democratic convention could use another twist).

So read, write, respond and begin asking, "what's right."

11 Comments

Alright, here's your number one.

I'm going to take this idea to my own blog. It's a great thought, a good challenge.

And, by the way, I think this is the funniest thing I've ever read on your blog:

(I like long, confusing, run-on sentences with lots of commas that need to be justified by paranthetical statements.)

This idea could change a lot of things! Consider "What's RIGHT with this picture!?" Besides...it IS scriptural.
" Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I think we all prefer to deconstruct and critique. It's much easier to demolish than to construct [and let's face it, it's a lot more fun].

That said, I'm definitely a glass-half-full kind of guy. There's much to be happy about it my life and I hope that it's never drowned out by my negativity.

asking "what's right" helps us to focus on all of God's immeasurable blessings, rather than focus on ourselves and what is wrong in this world. Thanks for changing my perspective for today.

I've been discussing positive thinking verses focusing on negative things quite a bit this last month and the question I'm always left with is how? It's one thing to say I'm going to be positive and it's another to actually buy it.
But you actually give a "how" in this. I will begin asking what is right, rather than focusing on all that is wrong in this world.

Steve - I so resonate with your thoughts! I am often asking John, "What's wrong?" because that is often the easier question. It gets right to the point so the problem can be found and fixed. But the real problem is that that doesn't work. It NEVER does! "What's wrong?" often turns an ugly head and becomes "I don't understand what you're feeling right now, but I am giving you a forum to go ahead and complain!" It doesn't focus on the positive. I think you are on to something and I anxiously await the next time we have the chance to talk about these things over coffee.

Hi.
In response to ur question...

Your right.

:) ~Billy

Steve-o,

I enjoy your thought process/proposal and support the campaign! I am eager to try out the theory in conversation with others and in my own thinking.

Hope you keep up the blogging (including the long sentences with parenthetical explanations).

My chiropractor and I would heartily agree with the PTR (Positive Thinking Revolution, not to be confused with PFR the ever famous Christian rock band of the nineties)

So with that... may the revolution continue

Steve,

I do believe that you have given me some sort of personal challenge like this in the past.

You told me that when ever I happen to be feeling down to just think about all of the good things I have going for me at the moment.

No Matter how small or insignificant, if it puts a smile on my face, then be thankful for it. And continue to smile.

How are you so optimistic all the time. What's wrong with you?

Ahh... a sentiment after my own heart. Specifically at work I find myself constantly trying to be positive in my message, actions, interactions and quite often I am "slammed down" with a statments like, "I am not negative, I am just a realist".... one of my most loathed statements.

I am personally a supporter of What is Right. Life is too short for Wrong. Plus, I think Jesus wants us to focus on the Right (and I don't mean in a political reference).

:)

Post a Comment