embracing life

Another perspective on life, worldviews, and God - and how they all fit together in everyday experience. Simple stuff.

Poverty

By Steve



I have not published a post for 33 days. Writers block. I have a few half written articles saved as drafts, pobably to remain there forever. And they are good too. Stories of a pigeon flying head on into my large picture window, the danger of dropping kids off for school (it's worse than the airport), something mysterious called "2 reasons," the misery of going to the kitchen for a Pb&J and being out of Jelly and a bike ride I took with a shop owner from New Jersey, a pilot on lay over from Denver and a professional cyclist from Belize here on vacation. I just have not been compelled to write. Until now.

Besides being handed a list of things to write for the new Citywalk website (to launch by year's end) and having just completed an outline for 15 daily blogs about faith on the city steets, today is blog action day...so I join thousands of other bloggers, and write.

This years theme: Poverty.


Last November I was in Uganda for 2 weeks and I saw poverty first hand. Not the kind of poverty we know here...cancelling our cable TV, cutting back on coffee or saying "no" to dessert. People live on $1 a day we're told, truth is they never really see the dollar, they just have in food what would amount to a dollar. I also saw how far just a little money could go. In 3 years time, through the work of the Children's Heritage Foundation, a school and Orphanage have been built and now care for 1000 kids. 4 acres of land, 3 buildings, a coffee farm, chicken farm and banana plantation...all for less than what my friends and I have spent on our downtown San Diego condos. Ugandan ladies now make paper beads and sell them for just a few bucks. The money from these bead necklaces has now bought two motorcycles which are used for a new taxi business. Needs are being met. Good things are happening. But still there is no money. Poverty remains.


While in Uganda last year, I gave a lecture to over 200 community leaders. During that talk, I stated that we too in America experience poverty, it's just of a different nature. The point was never made. I'll explain in a moment.


It was in that moment that poverty could only be dealt with if something tangible was offered. Something helpful. Something that people really needed. And that it came from all of us coming together to give. Not hoping for Government handouts, bailouts or relief efforts, but each of us giving to one another from what we have. Expecting nothing in return other than the hope that poverty can be overcome. This is what blog action day is about...not just writing, but writing so each of will act.


And me too. I too must act. One year later from that first Uganda trip, my wife and I are weeks away from adopting a child from the village of Mukono. We will travel again this November to support the orphanage, help build sustainable programs that result in tangible goods and train others to act too. We are giving from what we have. Doing what I believe to be our part. We have also invested in the lives of many right in our own community too. Every day I drive a Nigerian refugee boy to school. My wife bought his older brother cleats for soccer tryouts. And of course food is often involved.


Another poverty. Though I couldn't make the point with my African friends about our American poverty, I still believe its true. And I'm not talking money, though many these days may argue that a case could be made here too.


Poverty goes beyond an empty wallet. Everyday I speak with people that are empty. They have run out of hope. They have no joy. They are spiritually dry. Passion, dreams, motivation...gone. Poverty.

So while I support childrens heritage foundation with money and time and travel and education, and I send shoe boxes of toys overseas at Christmas with operation Christmas child, and I support Invisible Children and I am getting involved with Kids with Cameras, and I have given money to help people in Burma...I don't have to look that far to see poverty, and to reach out and help. There are hurting, empty people surrounding me. And I cannot overlook them as I cross the borders to help others.

A final word. You have something to offer. You may be compelled as I am to help the hungry and poor overseas. And this work is important. Its of absolute importance. But it is not enough (handouts are never enough, they are mere bandaids, but thats another topic). Be aware of the poverty that surrounds you too. Notice the people you live next to, sit by at work or pass by on the street. Just as my Ugandan friends live on a dollar per day, my guess is that you have a "dollar" for the soul that could help them too.

And as we work together to fight and overcome global poverty. May people be full. May there be money in everyone's wallet. Food in each of our pantries. And would our spirits swell as we come to know what it means to live with hope. May each of us take action.


No Comment

Post a Comment