embracing life

Another perspective on life, worldviews, and God - and how they all fit together in everyday experience. Simple stuff.

My Oven

By Steve

In April of 2006 I bought a new oven for our condo.  It's a nice oven.  Glass top, slide in, convection range.  I still remember the pain I felt parting with the money for this food cooker, especially since neither my wife nor I really cook (Ali's cookies are the best I've had though).


About a year after we purchased the oven, it stopped working.  The cooktop worked fine, but the oven did not.  The temperature control failed, so whenever you turned it on, regardless of what temperature you set, it would continue to heat with no end.  Any food placed in the oven would come out raw on the inside and burnt on the outside in just minutes.  Rather than fix the oven, I used it as an excuse to go out to eat.

In December I decided it was time to fix the oven.  Because I waited so long, it was now out of warranty...argh...so I had to pay.  A repair man came out and said the computer had malfunctioned and needed to be replaced.  

I called the manufacturer, whining a bit, and they sent me all of the parts I needed for free as a one time show of kindness.  The repair man returned, installed the part, and yeah, the oven works again (but don't think I still won't go out to dinner).

Before the repair man left, he asked, "have you had a cockroach problem?"  Well we had, about a year ago, we had a major infestation.  We had our place sprayed and have had no problem since...thankfully.  He went on to explain that the oven's computer was full of cockroach carcasses, and he believed that a cockroach was the reason the oven failed, causing a short somewhere in the system.  I hate roaches even more now, how dare them break my new oven.

That's my oven story, just wanted to share it.  Oh, and one more thing.  I wonder if you have anything in your life, an irritating little bug if you will, that gets into your system, that breaks you down and causes you to really heat up.  Just wondering.  

Maybe its time to look into it and take of it.  

1 Comment

Interesting enough, I just began a new schedule as a father for this year. In order to assure that my kids have plenty of time and assistance to prepare for school in the morning, I have to get up at least 40 minutes prior to them. When I'm late to awake, the little bugs seem to build. It could be the tangles in Olivia's hair, pulling together snacks, accumulating school work, buring toast, etc. that seems to annoy me. When I take the time to wake up early, have a quiet time with God and be prepared prior to the kids getting up...those bugs seem to clear and the wonderful surface appears. I also realized how much Karin used to do for my kids when I would prepare for work in the morning.

Post a Comment