embracing life

Another perspective on life, worldviews, and God - and how they all fit together in everyday experience. Simple stuff.

New Responsibility

By Steve

When a new family finds its way into the Citywalk community (our church), they often want to know what we do with/for kids...their kids.  We explain that we love our Citykids and want to help them in every way we can to experience the love of God and follow the way of Jesus.  We also say that the starting point for such "spiritual growth" begins in the home.  The parents have the greatest responsibility in raising their children...and a responsibility it is!


I now know.

As we waited to board the plane in Africa to return to the US, Pastor Stephen looked me in the eye and charged me with the responsibility of raising Perez in such a manner that he would know and love God...I want to, no, I will honor that.  

But its hard.

After getting to and from school.  Helping with homework.  Taking a bike ride (a spiritual exercise).  Having dinner.  Cleaning up.  Reading a book.  A bath...when do I raise Perez spiritually (though one could and should argue that it is taking place in each of these moments), no wonder we arrive at church and hope someone else will do it.

Before Perez entered our life, I would walk several blocks of our city early in the morning and pray.  I would pray out loud.  I would walk and I would pray out loud and I have seen great things come from this discipline.  I now walk more frequently at night, sometimes inviting Perez, though this usually results in walking, praying out loud and carrying the 46 pounder. 

Last night.

I invited Perez out with me on my prayer walk.  He jumped at the opportunity to go.  As usual, I asked if wanted to pray, and he began.  "God, I thank you for..."  For 3 blocks he prayed, out loud.  He thanked God for his teacher, for his friends, for his Ugandan friends, for Ugandan mom and his American mom and dad.  He thanked God for nearly all of his American relatives.  the thanked God for our church, and many of the people by name...including Bella.  He asked God for one more to start coming to our church.  Along the way we saw our neighbor, Ali.  Perez said hi, then thanked God for Ali.  Finally, he said, "I'm finished, now dad pray."

The responsibility of raising our children to know and love God can be a challenge.  We may not have time.  We may not know what to do.  But try.  Do something.

A moment like last night was meant for parents and their children to share.  

1 Comment

that's really awesome, amigo. good tales.

Post a Comment